front panel restoration

10. Rehabilitation of the front panel

To carry out this repair, we must lay down their components attached on the front panel.
First, the var-caps. we unscrew the screw locking pinion gear on the command axis:

Photo


The button and the axis can then exit through the front panel.

Photo


It is necessary to remove the pinion

Photo


We do in the same way with each rheostat axis.

Photo


If the axes are seized, it is necessary to use unseizing agent to prevent breaking the button.
If we must use pliers, it is necessary to interpose thick fabric:

Photo


The needles dials varcaps are to be removed; for this, we must remove the nut-eyed:

Photo


These needles appear to come from an old clock:

Photo


When the 4 axes are off, it remains 2 large screws, between rheostats, that hold the wooden plate; they must be unscrewed.
The plate is then released

Photo


And then we discover varcaps and rheostats fittings : just unscrew the 3 screw of each varcap for deposit.

Photo


Then the 2 bolts of rheostats.
The two variable capacitors released:

Photo



The rehabilitation involves polishing the steel wool axes, and to lubricate them.

The sliders of rheostats will also be polished, as well as the center contact on the axis.

For the varcaps, needless to desassemble them: it is necessary to lubricate the axes and operate them by hand until they rotate freely.
The front wheel covers, as well as the varcaps needles, screws and sliders of rheostats are pickled in the diluted acid, and then scoured.
Finally, they are polished with steel wool.

Incoming state:

Photo


State after cleaning:

Photo


The wood can be cleaned (steel wool) and varnished or waxed.

The oscillator coils plate must be deposited for removing dust and checking it.

Photo


Each coil resistance is about 1.5 ohm (in fact, there are 4 coils, 2 by 2 assembled)
We must also inspect rheostats: they are crossed by significant currents and the slightest bad contact would be detrimental to the proper functioning of the radio.

Photo


It is best to deposite them from the front plate, but if everything appears normal, we can be content to use very thin sandpaper on the turning contact (the central puck) and on the track (resistor winding thickness)
For me, the rheostat "K" (the one that compensates the reduction of heating-battery voltage during discharge) is out:
Indeed, when I have tried to unsolder the last wire of power cord, I found that riveting was broken!

Photo


This was hardly visible before oscillator coils deposit, if I had not done so, I would not have had heating ...
I made this riveting by using a 3 mm(diameter) bolt.
The best thing is to tear down the winding of the basement.

Photo


The screw is a little grinded so, it does not exceed.

Photo


Photo


Just to fix the rheostat on the front panel.

The capacitor CB needs to be changed. Its value is 2F. Initially, it is not polarized, but we can use an polarized one.
A voltage of 160V is sufficient.
I prefer to use 2 caps 1 F/250V not polarized ...
When the capacitor is removed, it must be emptied.

Photo


Photo


Not many methods: the drill with a 10 mm drill. We make several holes and with pliers, we remove chips.
It is long, tedious and dirty.
When the box is empty, we install the new capacitor with 2 wires.

Photo


And we all drown (I used paraffin recovered from the catacomb)

Photo


Simply connect the 2 wires to the terminal

Photo


And fix the cap on the front panel.

Well, the front panel is revised; reassembly can begin!




11. Reassembly

We need to start fixing the dials on the wooden plate:

Photo


I changed the 8 screws that were really oxidized. Instead of spending time to renovate them, I have prefered using new brass screws.
They are a little longer, I had to grind them when being in place, just at the edge of the nuts.
Then the wood front plate is attached to the metal frame with 4 rounded heads screws:

Photo


Then, the axes is reinstalled the varcaps needles too.
Do not forget the rheostats needs that are washers wich have to be put under the buttons.

Photo



The catacomb shock absorbers were completely dry:

Photo


Photo


I have decided to rebuild new ones.
Here is how I have done:

A) I first cut 2 shapes in cardboard to make boxes whose dimensions are 44x28x26

Photo


And 2 internal walls approximately 25x21 dimensions.

B) when boxes are assembled, partitions are glued to mid-length, on the bottom.

Photo


C) I cast silicone rubber that I dyed red.

D) then, we can unmould:

Photo


Photo


E) the wall remains in rubber, but it is easy to remove it:

Photo



Below are the new blocks installed in their place:

Photo


Photo


The slot is closed, it is normal, I expected slightly lower dimensions for all to be held.
These are the legs of catacomb that will come into these slots.

The catacomb is fixed with 2 semicircles. Initially, these pieces were each in a different direction, but during reassembly, I preferred to put all of them oriented in the same direction:

Photo




12. chassis rewiring

Now I can rewire the catacomb. The colored marks posed during dismantling are very useful ...
When the connections are screwed, the power cord must be shrinked, as well as the 2-wire link to CB cap:

Photo


Photo


Here are some pictures of the revised chassis.
View from below:

Photo


To the right:

Photo


To the left:

Photo


Seen from above:

Photo


other views:

Photo


Photo


Front view:

Photo






substitutes for 99's...